How to Retrieve Forgotten Router Login Netgear Password?
What would you do in case you forget the admin password of your Netgear router? The admin password is used to log in to the web interface of your Netgear router. After logging in you can go to the settings of the router and tweak them as per your requirements.
If you forget the router login Netgear password, then you have the option of retrieving it using the password recovery feature. We will elaborate on the process in the next section. But what to do if you do not have the option of password recovery? Learn about this in the upcoming sections.
Router Login Netgear Password Recovery Process
As discussed above, there are two options, one is that you have enabled the Netgear router password recovery feature and the second one is that the feature is not enabled. Let us tell you about both.
Option 1: Password Recovery Feature Enabled
While customizing the settings of your Netgear router, you can also enable the Password recovery feature in the settings. This helps you to retrieve the lost or changed password. The steps for the same are as follows:
- Get your device like a computer or laptop connected to the router’s network first.
- Then load up an internet browser.
- On a browser, reach the Netgear router login page using the login URL routerlogin.net.
- Click on the Cancel button on the page.
- You will be navigated to the router password Recovery page.
- Find the router’s serial number on a label on it and type it in the given field on the screen.
- Click Continue to further proceed.
- You will be prompted to answer the security questions.
- Answer with the same replies that you entered while you enabled the recovery feature.
- Click Continue and the router login Netgear password will be displayed on your screen.
Now that you know the admin password, you can easily do the Netgear router login.
Option 2: Password Recovery Feature is Not Enabled
There is a possibility that you haven’t opted for the password recovery option on your router. In that scenario, if you have lost the admin password of your Netgear router, then you are left with only one option. You need to reset your router and erase its customized settings.
Resetting deletes the current personalized settings and restores the factory default settings on the router.
Use the steps given ahead to perform the Netgear router reset:
- The router should be fully booted up while you reset it. So, verify the power supply to it.
- Check that the power light is lit and stable.
- Now, find a button labeled Reset on it. This button is usually found inside a hole named Factory Reset or Reset.
- Using a sharp and pointed object and press the button inside the hole. You need to press and hold it for some time.
- After about 10 to 15 seconds, release the button.
- The Netgear router is now reset and the default settings are restored on it.
Set Up Netgear Router Once Again
Now that the router is running on the default settings, this means you have to set it up once again just like the way you did when you bought it. You need to log in via 192.168.1.1. For your convenience, we have highlighted the router setup steps below:
- Place the router and modem closer to each other.
- Use an Ethernet cable and join these two devices with it.
- On a computer that is connected to the router’s network, launch a search engine like Chrome or Firefox.
- Type routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 in the location bar.
- Pressing the Enter key will take you to the router setup page.
- Follow all the setup prompts you see on the screen and you are good to go.
Wrapping Things Up
Now you know how to recover the lost router login Netgear password. We recommend you change the default password of your Netgear router now. Assign a new admin password and note it down in a diary or on your phone so that you can refer to it if you forget it.